An employment contract (or an employment agreement) is an agreement between an employer and employee that sets out terms and conditions of employment (written or unwritten). Although every employment contract is unique, there are crucial elements that should be included in a contract, regardless of your company size or industry.
It is true there are a range of free employment contract templates available, including the Fair Work employment contract template. But, given that the Fair Work Ombudsman is all about resolving issues for employees, maybe you, as the employer, are better off looking elsewhere.
Very basic templates (including the Fair Work Employment Contract) outline the basic terms and conditions of employment including:
- Name and personal details of the employer and employee
- The commencement date of employment
- Job title and description
- Number of hours worked per week
- Type of employment (i.e. full-time, part-time or casual)
- Leave entitlements
- Amount of notice required to be given by the employer and employee to end the employment relationship
- Basic confidentiality terms
Newbi employment contracts, however, are not limited to the basic terms and conditions of employment and include many more protections for the employer, including being far more detailed. They have the added security of:
- protecting your clientele and intellectual property from employees who leave your business or your competitors;
- protecting your businesses confidential information by prohibiting employees from inappropriately using or discussing company secrets, business strategies and plans, product information, and more;
- employee conduct expectations;
- employee warranties;
- post-employment restraints to protect the legitimate commercial interests of the business (optional);
Employment contracts are an investment in your business. Without a well-drafted contract in place, rights and obligations of both parties can be misunderstood which can potentially put your business at risk.
Fair Work employment contracts can provide you with the legal minimums required in an employment contract. However, disputes can be very costly, and sometimes even lethal for business who haven’t protected themselves. So investing in a proper legally endorsed contract is highly recommended.
Newbi removes the hassle and cost associated with protecting your business from employee-related disputes. Many small business owners understand the risk of employing someone with only a handshake deal, but simply don’t have access to legally compliant and affordable employment agreements. Newbi employment agreements are comprehensive documents that are endorsed by leading Australian employment lawyers, an affordable solution without comprising on quality so that you get maximum protection at a fraction of the cost.